Friday, May 13, 2005

 

AC1: May 13th, 2005: New Slang - The Shins


So here's the wizzle:

Never mind that the lyrics inspire thought, read like a poem, and sound absolutely luscious being crooned in this song, it's the beautiful tune that continues to mesmerize and enchant here at Assailable Cool. From its svelte fade-in, through its soft-effect guitar bridges, the gently driving rhythm and barely constrained bass line (doesn't it feel like it wants to rip away and join some other song?) this song makes my soul jump and shout, and makes my tear ducts think they need to start working. Hauntingly beautiful, deeply rich. And ever since I heard it in Garden State, my love for it has yet to fade.

There's the Gold Standard for an AC1, kids. There may never be another song so brilliant listed in the AC1 ranks, so I might as well use it to get out of the gate strong, right?

Other reasons I can't get enough of this song?

1) It's the only tune I can sing in my head that effectively eliminates my ability to hear the Muzak they play at work. Huzzah!

2) I have always wanted to be the one to invent new slang. Look at how much credit the Snoop Dizzle gets, and we all know "iznit" and "izzle" have been around for ages. My wife and I have been on a futile quest to introduce "Super Heavy" into the lexicon, as the next generation's alternative to "cool." It's hard, though. Every year, she tries to drop it casually around her 4th grade students, but not a-one has yet picked it up. :-( We don't want it used in the 70's "heavy" sense, because we don't want it to be associated with anything downerish. We want it to refer to something so cool that it hits you like a cinderblock. BAM! "HOLY CRAP! THAT'S SUPER HEAVY!" Well, at least we think so...

An AC guarantee: There will be more entries on slang. Slang's the bomb diggity shiznit in my bookizzle. For Rizzle.

To hold you over until then, please read this great string on slang, over at Subjunctivitis or this one. They're best read when listening to this week's AC1.

Cool Point Distribution:
Shins: 1
"New Slang": 5
Garden State: 1
Zack Braff: 1
Snoop Dizzle: 1
Subjunctivitis: 2

Coming Soon: Get ready for Deckies!

Comments:
No fake! This song gets in your head like (lacking appropriately crazy simile, insert own)!
I don't knwo any of the wprds, but I'l walk around all day just going:
Ooooo-oo-ooooooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooooo...
Like, yeah, all freakin' day.

And I am humbled by your shout-out. Thanks, and congrats on your first AC1, which is probably redundant, now that I think aboutit.
And sweet standing head/graphic thing.
 
Cool Point for NPR!
And PoQ.
And for the Shins!
Thanks for tuning in!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home