Monday, April 17, 2006

 

At the End: The beginning. An AC Readmore

Finally,
I'm getting caught up.

I've always been a little nerdy. I know you'll have a hard time believing that, especially with a descriptive and accurate handle like "ACOOLKID." But it's true. I found wonder in Star Wars growing up. I saw two Star Trek movies in the theatre. I read The Hobbit in 5th grade. And now, I am a computer programmer.

I've never taken the plunge, though. I've never gone to a Con (the Nintendo Show I went to in 7th grade doesn't count. Either do the Dog Shows and Horse Shows I went to with my dad...) I've never built my own computer (Apple will do that for me, and they do it pretty well...), and though I have finished Lord of the Rings twice, I refuse to journey into The Silmarion.

But operating on the fringe like I do, I'm always looking in, wondering, am I missing something? The friends I have that wear nerdiness as a badge of honor are some of my favorite people in the world. And the nerdy moments I have had brought me enlightenment and connections with others (especially at work...), so do I need some more exposure?

I try every once and a while to sojourn into the land of my adopted brethren and see if I can have more moments of selected bliss. And recently, I've been feeling a magnetic pull towards something Sci-Fi, and I decided to see if I could find a reasonably easy bridge to cross...

Thanks to a loan from a great co-worker, I finally took the opportunity to read Ender's Game. And this was a journey that paid off. The book, by Orson Scott Card is like meeting Harry Potter in a distopian future: Clever child that doesn't fit with his family is taken away to a school where his gifts set him apart from the others. He might even be needed in a plot to save the world... Of course, Card developed this 30 years ago...

The text was brainy, evocative, and did a brilliant job of balancing sci-fi posturing with plot necessity. Card does a dashing job of creating a world that could easily have begat Ender, which turns the rest of the story into a series of fantastic but solidly real developments. If all sci-fi was as balanced and founded, I'd hang out in these worlds a bit more often. Of course, I am a little bit out of time in reviewing this. The book was written in the time of Pong, but vividly describes virtual reality, AI gaming; networked laptops, and IM-ing. It certainly never felt dated...

So for the past week, since I finished the book, my nerd side has been breathing deep, well-fed breaths, and has been sending out tentacles searching for further stimuli. Unfortunately for it, Dan Brown's Angels and Demons was next on the list. But just getting a look at the (Card-created) world through Ender's eyes has forever changed my perception. And not just the nerdy part.

Tonight, I'm offering that as honest (though possibly twisted...), high praise.

PS: This is my first real book review. I plan to call book reviews AC Readmores, a nod to that crazy cat of ABC Saturday Mornings: OG Readmore. I realize that will go over most people's heads. But I'm taking a lot of nerdy pleasure in that. :-P
PPS: This is my 50th post. Yipee!

Comments:
http://www.hatrack.com/ is the Card website. He's very into updating it, and has a weekly column with movie reviews and et ceteri. A nerd like you would lke it.
So, we can talk about the end, now? My wife (miss halfway-through Sixth-Sense-"he's dead, isn't he?") would've seen it coming, but I just don't think that hard while I'm into a story.
Happy 50th!
 
Ender's game is his best work nothing before or after it was ever as good.

peace
 
Thanks for the hatrack tip, THEE Babe. I'll see if I dig. Any time you want to chat Enderings, lemee know.

And Ott, welcome to AC! I have heard this a few times, now, and I will add your voice to the mix. As one who aspires to author, this is one of those things that gives me constant pause. Will they say this about me someday? Maybe since I haven't published, I should hope that they will! ;-)

Thanks to the both of you. Feel free to let me know what your fave parts were.

All assail!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home