Saturday, April 29, 2006

 

The Real Way To Fifty: God Bless the TWiTs

Recently, I did a digital happy dance when I noticed that I had reached my 50th post. I patted myself on the back and then mowed the lawn. (I'm usually pretty down to earth about my successes in life...)

When I got the lawnmower purring, though, I wanted to recind my back pat.

To keep myself occupied while I mowed, I listened to the last podcast of This Week in Tech that I had downloaded. Coincidentally, it was TWiT 50, and it truly showed what a 50th celebration should be. It was a microcosm representation of everything the show is. It had good tech news and debate (like always), it had devorak.org plugs, self-referential discussions and promises of the TWiT store, but it had some new stuff, too (including a new riff opening). It also had some zany celebratory levity (It's titled Squeak Toy for a reason...). And, to top it all off, it had a Brit!

TWiT is the only Podcast that I regularly tune into. I make time for it, which means a lot in my world. (That would even make it rate higher than this site in my life...) Essentially, it's a gathering of Tech journalists (and former TechTV vets) that get "together," (usually via Skype) to talk about the week's tech stories, what's going on in their lives, and what's coming up for the rest of the world. It's an hour well-spent, and I think these guys are creating something that will last a very long time. It's, in doses, charming (Leo), paranoid (John C. Dvorak), and informative (All). Which makes for an interesting mix. In the 50th, they touch on some of their old favorite topics (Microsoft and Intel vs. AMD), and talk about a lot of new favorites (like Second Life). They do a brilliant job of recognizing their past and moving forward...

Our AC hats are off to you, Leo & Co! Thanks for schooling us in how to really do an anniversary episode. I'll try to do better for Post 100.

Also, please listen to the last few minutes of the broadcast. After the outro starts, there's another little bit of the TWiTs signing off. It features the Brit, Will Harris, doing an American impression. There's nothing better than that... And keep listening... There's yet another discussion on Second Life which should give you one more geeky giggle.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home