Saturday, August 05, 2006

 

AC1: August 2nd, 2006: Beirut - Interior of a Dutch House

I know that when I get more time, I'm going to search out more songs by this band. Besides the fact that the melody of this song has been stuck in my head consistently for weeks (my coworkers have to be sick of me whistling it...), I love the vibe of the song. In a way, it's like trying to hear Captain Jack Sparrow work his way through a Beatles song. For many people, the marble-y-mouthed singer is probably a turnoff (especially those people that like analyzing the lyrical beauty of a song...) But for me, in this instance, it adds to the charm.

And beyond the garbly singing, the harmony of the song is provided by a backwards vocal track. So for a good portion of the song, I have no idea what's going on. I kind of hope that if they are describing the interior of a Dutch house, they're actually speaking Dutch. That would make me feel a little better...

Plus, you have to stand by the underdogs. Well, maybe they aren't underdogs... I really don't know. But it can't be easy being a band called Beirut right now. Though I bet they're getting a lot more unintentional hits on their web pages...

Oh, and for those of you on a Horns Section watch: This song's got 'em! Apparently, the band uses a lot of different instruments. On their mySpace site, they even list Klezmer as an influence. Also on their mySpace site: many, many raves...

(CRAP! Speaking of mySpace (and of hearing more of their music), the mySpace player just started blaring over my speakers. I am now listening to "Mount Wroclai" on full volume. ...And it's a good one, too!)

Okay Beirut, you have my full attention...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home