Saturday, August 05, 2006

 

AC1: August 5th, 2006: Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

sometimes, I feel a need to qualify that I'm not some indie-rock purist. I mean, I love it when a band works hard, builds a fan base, and one day reaches a level of respectability and consistent output that keeps fans sated, and them well-off. I do have a thing against pop stars (and country stars) that arrive pre-packaged and ready-made (though if the songs are stellar, I'll still bend my ear...). Beyond that, though, I'm open to any tune floating around. Source be damned.

This song is a pop gem. I mean, it's a hit! A real, top 20 performer. It's insanely engaging (pun somewhat intended), and though I can't sing along (Cee-lo Green IS a Soul Machine!) I can bob along convincingly. I get an absolute thrill when I hear this song come on our pop music station in between Justin Timberlake and Beyonce. It doesn't belong, but THERE IT IS!

Gnarls is the brainchild of Cee-Lo (formerly of Dirty South pioneers Goodie Mob) and the ubiquitous Danger Mouse (See Grey Album; Danger Doom). Danger drops the beats, and Cee-Lo's expansive (and sane) mind layers the accessible soul. This song is the top of the heap in the collab, though "Smiley Faces" was getting mad rotation on YouTube. (It has since been removed...) :-(

Now, as you well know, I'm not much for lyrics. They can add, they can detract (Hello! Theo and the Skyscrapers!). But for this song, Barkley's nonchalant acceptance that the reality they know may not be all it's cracked up to be is a lot less Matrix, and somehow full of assurance. The thought that normal may be crazy should make me squirm, but with Cee-Lo telling me he's all right with it, somehow, I am too. Does that make me crazy? Probably...

In a side note, I can't find anythin about what Charles Barkley thinks of the band's name. Nor can I find comments from Sesame Street's Barkley (who is known for his orange and white gnarly hair) But I hope they loves these guys like I do...

The same goes for you!

All assail!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home