Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 

This just in: Your momma has been truncated. Say Hi to her anyway.

This is probably a dumb post to return on, but it's on my mind. And now it's on my blog.

One of my all time favorite songs: "Let's Talk About Spaceships" was from a band called Say Hi To Your Mom. It's a brilliant track reflecting on the emotionally-angsty endgame of a relationship. I love the song. It makes me smirk and feel teary all at the same time.

A few days ago, I heard a song on the local campus radio station, and the student DJ introduced the song as being from Say Hi. It's not uncommon for the DJs at this station to cut off words in titles and band names. I constantly heard the Modest Mouse album referred to as "Good News for People Who Love Bad," but I couldn't imagine that the most joyously quirky part of the band's name would just suddenly disappear.

Well, whilst listening to yesterday's KEXP Song of the Day Podcast, I looked down at my iPod screen, and dang if the song "Northwestern Girls" wasn't listed as being by Say Hi.

Sorry to all your moms out there. There will now be a dearth of "hi" saying going on in their vicinity. Be aware of this lacking in their lives, and make sure your dads are aware, in case the lack of being greeted leads our mothers to get a tad depressed.

Or, if you like, pass along your mom's name, and I'll be glad to say "hi" to her here, just to keep the love alive.

Uh, I guess that's it for now. Follow the link from the post title to go see the CMJ article on what prompted the truncation. It makes sense, and the new songs do sound different, so I guess we'll let the guy have his artistic license. Even at the expense of Mom.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home