Monday, July 23, 2007

 

Rockin' Tha Rap

Over the course of the last few months, a small, but dedicated group of Rap songs have kept me feelin' fresh (you know, in that dope sort of way).
They're mixed in with all the other hot stuff on my playlists, so I don't really think about them in any sort of meta-analysis sort of way. But today, for some reason,
I heard one of them, and wanted to hear one of the others, and then quickly found myself hankerin' for the last one. Though the songs have NOTHING do to with each other, they do actually work in concert, unwittingly creating a continuum of oddity that I find refreshing and amusing.

Odd: Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push

'K. This is actually the real deal. It's not that odd... Chicago boy Lupe got skillz, and still manages to have a really good time doing something that seems to make a lot of other professionals in his field bitter and mysoganistic. His voice is pleasing and honest, and this tale of a skateboarder coming of age is excessively charming. It's got verses and choruses, but when I listen to it, I love it so much that when the verses are rolling, I want to be singing the chorus, and when the chorus is playing, I feel like it's holding me back from singing the clever verses. I realize the song's not too street. But c'mon, Rap is supposed to speak for people that don't have a voice otherwise, and we know not all skateboarders are punks. So just because he's not getting shot, shooting, shooting up, or hurting women, it doesn't mean the story doesn't need to be told. I grew up listening to the still-underappreciated talents of DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince (pre-"Summertime," please), so I know that a balance between the slapstick and the serious can pay great dividends. Though the story isn't really meant to be funny or outlandish, it's off-center enough to stand out, and in the end, be amazing.

Why haven't I AC1'd this yet?

Odder: Mistah Fab - Ghost Ride It

This one is also serious, well, at least to the San Francisco subbacultcha that is willing to risk their lives to participate in one of the craziest car culture displays of outlandish superiority. You can get a quick glimpse of Mistah F.A.B.'s participation in "Ghost Riding" on his myspace page. Essentially, this involves showing off your ride (or "whip") by cutting the power, letting it coast, and getting out and dancing on the car as your admirers look on. Do not try this at home: there have already been 3 fatalities attributed to Ghost Riding. So, instead, listen to this insanely catchy tune, backed by bleeps and blips from the Ghostbusters theme song.

Riddle me this, though: Who gets royalties for the Ghostbusters sample? I mean, they are OBVIOUSLY sampling the song for the ghost angle, but didn't all the royalties from that song go to Huey Lewis?

Oddest: 2 Many Knives - Crack Stuntman

This one: not serious at all. This was a homestarrunner.com short cartoon. Apparently, Crack Stuntman is the stunt man/voice power for the Cheat Commmandos show, and this is his PSA. It's wack. Wiggity-wiggity. But I honestly think Lupe and Mistah F.A.B. would be down wit' it.

So I am too.

Kids, please, don't play with too many knives.
Please.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home