Tuesday, March 06, 2007

 

Oh... Now I Get It!

I didn't understand the hype around Bloc Party when they first hit the scene a few years ago. They seemed all right, but I gravitated more towards the Kaiser Chiefs. Presented with all the options at the time, I was way more into "I Predict A Riot" than I was "Banquet."

But man, I was listening to "Song for Clay (Disappear Here)" today (it even woke me up as my alarm song this morning...) and suddenly, I got it. They do really have something. It just clicks. And this song in particular really has it all going right.

I read the review of their new album Weekend in the City in Spin this week, and they actually put them down for trying to make every song epic. Again, going from the lead single, if they can keep that epic work up, more power to 'em.

And, man, speaking of not getting it: I thought the name of the band, Bloc Party, was also a little rote back when I first encountered it. Especially since they really don't seem to be partying too much. But now I get it. It's clever on many levels, and I can't believe it took me two years to see it!

But now that I'm slowly wising up, you can expect to see a similar post about TV on the Radio in as little as 18 months! :-p

All Assail!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home